Jazz gig of the week: Cheltenham Jazz Festival, various venues
Friday 26 April 2013
Dionne Warwick and the young Swedish-born singer Emilia Martensson open this year's Cheltenham gathering, which rivals the London Jazz Festival as the major event in the UK's jazz calendar.
Friday's line-up includes cool songstress Madeleine Peyroux, rising star Laura Mvula and the acclaimed Norwegian saxophonist Marius Neset.
Over the weekend, Ravi Coltrane and star vocalist Gregory Porter are among the picks – Porter delivers a talk on Finding Your Voice on 5 May – and closing highlights include Gary Burton, a tasty pairing of Polar Bear and Roller Trio, and Van the Man to finish.
0844 880 8094; cheltenhamfestivals.com, Wednesday to 5 May
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber pass £170,000 on eBay
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’