My Fantasy Band: Charlie Simpson
Friday 29 July 2011
Vocals - Elliott Smith
As a songwriter he just blows my mind. Across all the albums he released, I think what shone through for me was the quality of his songwriting and that's what makes a good frontman.
Piano - Jackson Browne
Even though he is predominantly a guitarist, he does play piano. He's got a great voice as well so he could do some back-up vocals.
Drums - Thomas Lang
He's a session player and he also does drumming seminars, teaching people how to play. He's played a lot of acid-jazz stuff but he plays for tons of different people. I've seen some amazing videos of him doing one-stick drum rolls.
Guitar - Daniel Johns
Sadly, Silverchair have just split up. Johns was one of my biggest role models. I love his voice, I love his guitar, his playing style. You know that 'Wayne's World' moment when Wayne looks into that glass window and sees Excalibur? That was always the PRS guitar for me, simply because Johns played one.
Bass - Chris Wolstenholme
Bass is one of the easiest things to write because you've only got the root chords to play around with. But Muse find this amazing way of making the bass its own instrument while keeping the chords rooted in the melody. In Muse songs, sometimes one of the best hooks is the bass line.
Charlie Simpson's single "Parachutes" is out on 8 August. The album 'Young Pilgrim' follows on 15 August
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >