One Minute With... Gwilym Gold, Golden Silvers
Where are you?
I'm at home.
What are you currently listening to?
A soul-jazz compilation of Jamaican dancehall music from the 1980s and 1990s, and Kanye West's latest album. I've also been listening to Leonard Cohen's Death of a Ladies' Man, which he made with Phil Spector. It got panned by the critics but it's got some beautiful songs on it.
Who is your favourite band?
For my favourite current band, it would be a toss-up between the Invisible and Micachu and the Shapes.
If you could have written one song, which would it be?
One of my all-time favourites is "If This World Were Mine" by Marvin Gaye because it is unashamedly romantic but not at all cheesy.
What distracts you from work?
Doing one-minute interviews! Also, I recently got addicted to watching The Sopranos. I watched all six series in a few weeks.
What did you want to be as a child?
I wanted to be a footballer and a magician when I was really small, and when I started playing the piano, I wanted to be like Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard.
Who is your greatest inspiration?
It is always changing but I'm reading Peter Ackroyd's biography of London at the moment, which I'm finding inspirational.
Is there a song that changed your life?
Again, there are loads, but I'll go for "To Ramona" by Bob Dylan as it was after learning this that I really started writing songs seriously .
Who is your hero?
Really hard to pick one but for this I'll go with Miles Davis. His music was always innovative and ahead of its time, and he did everything with great style.
Golden Silvers play the iTunes Festival with Jack Peñate at the Roundhouse, London, tonight and are touring to 11 Sept
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria