The Barometer: Alicia Keys; Bryn Terfel; The Soft Pack; Brett Anderson; The Mountain Goats; X-Ray Spex
Friday 06 November 2009
Alicia Keys Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart
Ms Keys experiments with Eighties electro for this stunning uptempo ballad.
Bryn Terfel Sono Lo Spirito Che Nega (Mefistofele)
Rarely can the Devil have been portrayed with quite such maniacal relish as on this standout track from the Welsh baritone's Bad Boys collection.
The Soft Pack Answer to Yourself
The catchy new single from the smart Californian pop-rock-garage band.
Brett Anderson Summer
The former Suede star's newfound tranquil existence is epitomised by this track from his cinematic, folk-inspired third solo album.
The Mountain Goats Genesis 3:23
One of America's great neglected songwriters, John Darnielle imagines he's a ghost in his own house on the jauntiest tune from a Bible-themed album.
X-Ray Spex Oh Bondage, Up Yours!
A stand-out hit on the punk act's upcoming live album.
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly