The Barometer: Alicia Keys; Bryn Terfel; The Soft Pack; Brett Anderson; The Mountain Goats; X-Ray Spex
Friday 06 November 2009
Alicia Keys Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart
Ms Keys experiments with Eighties electro for this stunning uptempo ballad.
Bryn Terfel Sono Lo Spirito Che Nega (Mefistofele)
Rarely can the Devil have been portrayed with quite such maniacal relish as on this standout track from the Welsh baritone's Bad Boys collection.
The Soft Pack Answer to Yourself
The catchy new single from the smart Californian pop-rock-garage band.
Brett Anderson Summer
The former Suede star's newfound tranquil existence is epitomised by this track from his cinematic, folk-inspired third solo album.
The Mountain Goats Genesis 3:23
One of America's great neglected songwriters, John Darnielle imagines he's a ghost in his own house on the jauntiest tune from a Bible-themed album.
X-Ray Spex Oh Bondage, Up Yours!
A stand-out hit on the punk act's upcoming live album.
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories