The Barometer: Cass McCombs; Vivian Girls; Major Lazer; DAF; The Decemberists; Beastie Boys
Friday 17 July 2009
Cass McCombs Dreams Come True Girl
This sunny 50s-tinged pop opener from Catacombs finds Californian crooner Cass McCombs at his best.
Vivian Girls When I'm Gone
Surf-rock, punk and shoegaze combine in the first track from the Brooklyn trio's new album, Everything Goes Wrong, which arrives in September.
Major Lazer Keep it Goin' Louder
On their latest collaboration, scene-defining DJs Diplo and Switch display a knack for sublime, day-glo pop.
DAF Mein Herz Macht Bum
German duo in their early-80s pomp show what synth-pop should be like: dark, dangerous and dirty.
The Decemberists The Hazards of Love 3 (Revenge!)
The US alt-folk rockers sing about shape-shifting demons in a twisted tribute to English folk music.
Beastie Boys Sure Shot
As their 1994 album Ill Communication is reissued, it's a perfect moment to relive the brilliance of the record's flute-sampling opening salvo.
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people