The Barometer: The Low Anthem; Alan Pownwall; Donae'o; Neil Young; Jay-Z; Yoko Ono
What's hot on our playlist
Friday 12 June 2009
The Low Anthem Charlie Darwin
This week's natural selection, a haunting paean to evolutionary debate, sung in other-worldly falsetto.
Alan Pownwall Clara
This jaunty acoustic pop single from the London-based Pownall is only to be released as a limited-edition 7in, but it's on his Myspace page, too.
A melodic cut that sways on the right side of UK funky.
Neil Young Out on the Weekend
Prepare for Young's festival appearances with this exquisitely laid-back opener to the classic Harvest.
Jay-Z DOA (Death of Auto-Tune)
In which our hero returns to save rap from Auto-Tune vocals.
Yoko Ono The Sun is Down (Cornelius mix)
Bleeps reign in a track mixed by Japanese musical polymath Cornelius. She returns with her Plastic Ono Band on the "Don't Stop Me!" EP.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore disappears over Java Sea
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
The Interview finally gets US release after Sony hack and terror threats – but reviews of North Korea satire are mixed
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times