Album: Alabama 3 Revolver Soul (Hostage)
Friday 30 April 2010
As before, Alabama 3 play fast and loose here with the imagery of religious belief, opening Revolver Soul with the humid, stifling menace of "Oh Christ" and romantic baptism of "She Blessed Me", before hitting the dark side of the street to hymn the "downtown queen" hooker "Jacqueline".
The dominant musical mode is their trademark swamp-funk, heard at its best on "Bad to the Bone", where they drag a mouldering blues cliché into the modern world; but there are the usual country touches and, on "Fix It", an earthy variant of the voguish 80s retro-electropop featuring Shane MacGowan's inimitable mumble. Their political bent, meanwhile, is most prominently displayed on "Vietnamistan", which borrows Country Joe's "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag" in its depiction of cartoon characters as casualties of war.
Download this: Bad to the Bone; Vietnamistan; All God's Children; Jacqueline
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures