Album: Allen Stone, Allen Stone (Decca)
Sunday 24 February 2013
Soul, being a genre, is vulnerable to the boilerplate approach, never better exemplified than here: a white, socially conscious, retrofiend from DC with a band who really mean it.
The playing is nice, the singing (a light Stevie-via-Hucknall tenor) heartfelt, the tunes decent, the songs so utterly in keeping with the ethos of the retrospected musical period (the early 1970s) that what you hear is not the substance of the message but the measures taken to make it sound "right".
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 London is the most googled city in the world
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks traffic on Dublin road
- 5 Richard Dawkins ridicules Sabrina Corgatelli for claiming her giraffe kill was 'ethical'
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Labour leadership race: Jeremy Corbyn could be the next Prime Minister, says Ken Clarke