Album: Allen Stone, Allen Stone (Decca)
Soul, being a genre, is vulnerable to the boilerplate approach, never better exemplified than here: a white, socially conscious, retrofiend from DC with a band who really mean it.
The playing is nice, the singing (a light Stevie-via-Hucknall tenor) heartfelt, the tunes decent, the songs so utterly in keeping with the ethos of the retrospected musical period (the early 1970s) that what you hear is not the substance of the message but the measures taken to make it sound "right".
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria