Album: AM & Shawn Lee, Celestial Electric (ESL)
Cult LA singer-songwriter AM and cult London beatmaster Shawn Lee share a taste for the outré, so it seemed only natural that they should collaborate on Celestial Electric.
Sweetened with things like glockenspiel and marimba, along with a warehouseful of obscure analogue keyboards, Lee's rhythm tracks provide subtly scuttling beds for AM's songs and sweet soul falsetto: the desolate edge it lends to "Lonely Life" is the making of the song.
Together, these outsider talents create an engaging blend of slinky Tropicalia, soulful Bacharachia, and enigmatic Euro-thriller themes. Its snaky shuffle and lowering synth pad make "Dark into Light" a standout track, and "Somebody Like You" has genuine pop charm, while their lovely version of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils' "Jackie Blue" is a guilty pleasure deluxe.
Download this: Dark into Light; Somebody Like You; Jackie Blue
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest