Album: Animal Collective, Centipede HZ (Domino)
Sunday 02 September 2012
Admirably, Animal Collective have made no concessions whatsoever to the wider audience whose ears were opened by Merriweather Post Pavilion in 2009.
The experimental psychedelicists' ninth album feels akin to hearing a Smile-era Beach Boys song in your sleep while roadwork drills pound outside your window, and your brain re-editing the sounds into new dream-logic shapes. Simultaneously the most and the least pop record of the autumn.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >