Album: Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti, Mature Themes (4AD)
Ariel Pink’s latest outing with his band finds him scaling the
foothills of musical competence on tracks like “Farewell American
Primitive” and “Only in My Dreams”.
But he reverts too readily to the adolescent scatology of earlier releases on spermobsessed, stream-of-consciousness drivel like “Kinski Assassin”, “Symphony of the Nymph” and “Is This the Best Spot?”. His band make half-hearted stabs at an authentic psychrock swirl, but lack the gutsy conviction to create compelling garage-rock. The results are simply irritating, in so many ways.
Download: Only in My Dreams; Farewell American Primitive; Live It Up
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stem cells that can kill cancer have been engineered by scientists
- 2 Ricky Gervais and Dame Judi Dench back campaign to stop Thailand dog meat trade
- 3 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
X Factor 2014: Movie Week sends Jay James and co. into karaoke mode
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Revolutionary lost Caravaggio painting 'Mary Magdalen in Ecstasy' identified
Downton Abbey: Can a lord's best friend last for ever...even if she's called Isis?
Portfolio: Amit and Naroop
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are