Album: Beady Eye, Beady Eye (Beady Eye)
Friday 25 February 2011
"The battle's on, and so is the prize," sings Liam Gallagher with typical bullish assertiveness on "Four Letter Word" – now, who do you suppose he's talking to? And with its snarly wah-wah guitars there's a triumphalist stridency about this opening track which bears out his confidence.
Beady Eye may be just Oasis minus Noel, but this debut is rather better than the past few Oasis albums, if sadly no more innovative. The plonking piano and vocal reverb of "The Roller" mark it as merely the latest instalment of Liam's Lennon obsession, while the self-aggrand-ising nod in "Beatles and Stones" should also include The Kinks, judging by the riff. Else-where, the jangly 12-string and wheedling vocal of "Millionaire" find the band in Teenage Fanclub territory, while "Bring The Light" adds pounding Little Richard-style piano to their arsenal of classic-rock strategies.
DOWNLOAD THIS Four Letter Word; Bring the Light; Millionaire
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show