Album: Benny Andersson Band, Story Of A Heart (Polydor)
Friday 03 July 2009
Since Abba ceased trading, Benny Andersson has indulged his abiding love for Swedish folk music with his own 16-piece band.
Story Of A Heart is compiled from the band's three albums of North European folk-band music, from the oompah tubas and glockenspiels of the calliope-style "Cirkus Finemang" and the dashing polka clarinets and xylophones of "Jehu", to the accordion and horns of "Birthday Waltz For Mona". Further west, the loping tin-whistle and piercing lead guitar of "Glasgow Boogie" recalls Mike Oldfield in folksy mood, while proceedings are punctuated by the occasional Satie-esque piano instrumental and '50s MOR outings. But the biggest attraction is likely to be the tracks on which Andersson is reunited with lyricist Bjorn Ulvaeus, such as the title-track and "You Are My Man", an impassioned country-soul number infused with Scandinavian melancholy in lines like "You sit for hours on end, all stern-faced and quiet". Most impressive is "Fait Accompli", which revisits the mood, chords and structure of "Winner Takes It All", with precision and brevity: "One minute we're on, next minute you're gone/ There's no more 'we', it's fait accompli".
Download this: 'Fait Accompli', 'You Are My Man', 'Glasgow Boogie', 'Birthday Waltz For Mona', 'Jehu'
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it