Album: Beyoncé, I Am ... Sasha Fierce, (Columbia)
Not such an independent woman after all
Sunday 16 November 2008
In the build-up to 'I Am ... Sasha Fierce', Beyoncé's cheerleaders have been keen to stress that she is in a different "place" now. One can only assume she's moved house, because in any figurative sense, the singer is exactly where she already was.
She gets prime songwriting credit on every song, but she's backed up by heavyweights such as Ryan Tedder (Leona Lewis's "Bleeding Love") and Amanda Ghost (James Blunt's "You're Beautiful"). The team of producers, too, is big enough to crew a nuclear sub. It therefore ends up like every other megastar album nowadays, packed with depressingly lucrative balladry such as "If I Was A Boy". Add the social conservatism of "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" and God-bothering goo such as "Ave Maria", not to mention unrequired dictionary rewriting on "Diva" ("A diva is a female version of a hustler..."), and the result is a real stinker. Time for Beyonce to really move over to a different "place", and make way for lil' sis Solange.
Pick of the Album: If you absolutely must: 'Radio'
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 2 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 3 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 4 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
- 5 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams to make special guest appearance in Doctor Who
Cassetteboy joins forces with Russell Brand for Emperor's New Clothes film
Poldark, review: Demelza’s insouciance is almost as impressive as Ross’ pecs
Jay Z launches streaming service Tidal with help from Kanye West, Rihanna and Coldplay
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew