Album: Birdeatsbaby, Feast of Hammers (Dead Round Eyes)
Sunday 19 February 2012
Life is a dark cabaret, old chum, and Birdeatsbaby are high-kicking their way through the ashes and dust with the best of 'em.
The second album from the Brighton "alternative-classical punks", led by singer-pianist Mishkin Fitzgerald, carries heavy reverberations of the Dresden Dolls. But it also has an operatic quality which elevates it above mere pastiche, and on tracks such as "Incitatus" they attain the nightmarish atmosphere of the Brothers Grimm.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter