Album: Birdeatsbaby, Feast of Hammers (Dead Round Eyes)
Sunday 19 February 2012
Life is a dark cabaret, old chum, and Birdeatsbaby are high-kicking their way through the ashes and dust with the best of 'em.
The second album from the Brighton "alternative-classical punks", led by singer-pianist Mishkin Fitzgerald, carries heavy reverberations of the Dresden Dolls. But it also has an operatic quality which elevates it above mere pastiche, and on tracks such as "Incitatus" they attain the nightmarish atmosphere of the Brothers Grimm.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it