Album: Black Carrot, Miliking Scarabs for Dough (Tin Angel)
Friday 18 June 2010
The addition of inventive guitarist Ollie Warren has further broadened the already vast sonic palette of Market Harborough's top avant-rockers, making the wonderful Black Carrot more diggable than ever.
He's at the heart of a track like "Onomatopoeia", where his several de-tuned lines collude most pleasingly; and elsewhere, his razor-sharp shards slot nicely into the band's limber Beefheart-style grooves, particularly the oddly infectious stutter-funk of "The One That Got Away" and "The Detonation Tonight Will Be S-Ray-20". Elsewhere, "The Hush Hour" is a plaintive abstraction, while the band's instrumental diversity is demonstrated via the melodica and bass clarinet of "Sleep" and the harpsichord of "Magnets", before the album draws to a close with the wheezing shanty "The Top of the Hill".
DOWNLOAD THIS The One That Got Away; Onomatopoeia; The Hush Hour
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Green village to be bulldozed and mined for lignite in Germany's quest for non-nuclear fuel
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month