Album: Boesset/Campra/Lully, 200 Ans de Musique à Versailles (CMBV)
Last year the Centre de Musique Baroque de Versailles celebrated its 20th anniversary with performances from France's most celebrated period instruments ensembles.
This coffret is a chronological and thematic survey of music encompassing motets, symphonies and a fortepiano recital. The quality of the live recordings, though variable, is high; the acoustics in the palace is fascinating, the repertoire diverse. British listeners may wonder why Les Nouveaux Caractères, Le Cercle de l'Harmonie and Les Agréments are not better known outside France.
Pick of the Album: Les Nouveaux Caractères' sizzling account of 'Egine'
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria