Album: Boesset/Campra/Lully, 200 Ans de Musique à Versailles (CMBV)
Sunday 27 July 2008
Last year the Centre de Musique Baroque de Versailles celebrated its 20th anniversary with performances from France's most celebrated period instruments ensembles.
This coffret is a chronological and thematic survey of music encompassing motets, symphonies and a fortepiano recital. The quality of the live recordings, though variable, is high; the acoustics in the palace is fascinating, the repertoire diverse. British listeners may wonder why Les Nouveaux Caractères, Le Cercle de l'Harmonie and Les Agréments are not better known outside France.
Pick of the Album: Les Nouveaux Caractères' sizzling account of 'Egine'
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'