Album: Cage The Elephant, Thank You Happy Birthday (Relentless)
Friday 18 March 2011
The Kentucky combo Cage the Elephant manage to find a new wrinkle on the face of US indie-punk, thanks to an enthusiasm for yoking catchy melodies to abrasive guitar riffs that recalls the Pixies.
Tracks like "Right Before My Eyes" – a rejection of worldly antagonism that recurs later in acoustic form – and the single "Shake Me Down" have a powerful, anthemic appeal that matches their positive outlook. A cross between Green Day and The Shins, the latter finds them determined not to get sucked in by depression: "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun". Elsewhere, "Always Something" warns about lurking, unseen dangers over a jerky, muscular riff in classic Gang of Four style, while "Indy Kidz" employs serrated guitar slashes to drive home its dissatisfaction with TV's "box of lies".
DOWNLOAD THIS Right Before My Eyes; Shake Me Down; Flow
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Green village to be bulldozed and mined for lignite in Germany's quest for non-nuclear fuel
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >