Album: Cassandra Wilson, Another Country (Membran)
Recorded in Florence and New Orleans with co-producer, co-writer and guitarist Fabrizio Sotti, this is a belting return to form by the best vocal artist in jazz.
It also marks the end of her 20-year contract with Blue Note, which increasingly look to be up jazz creek without a paddle. Bar "O Solo Mio" (which also gets a nice, funk-style reprise), all the material is original and includes some of Wilson's most passionate love songs. The vibe is acoustic and rootsy.
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Grace Dent on TV: Extreme Couponing, My Strange Addiction, and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, TLC
- 4 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.