Album: Cassandra Wilson, Silver Pony (Blue Note)
Sunday 07 November 2010
This part-live, part-studio quintet recording might mark time more than break new ground, but it's still easy to succumb to Ms Wilson's charms.
A rather uninspiring opening is soon forgotten after a slinky instrumental work-out leads into "Silver Moon", with Ravi Coltrane on sax. It's followed by Charley Patton's "Saddle Up My Pony", then Stevie Wonder's "If It's Magic". By the time we get to Louis Bonfa's "A Day in the Life of a Fool" and the Beatles' "Blackbird", you're smitten, with a John Legend cameo still to come.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special trailer released
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
Metallica play Antarctica: What other bizarre gigs have musicians played?
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >