Album: Cher Lloyd, Sticks + Stones (Syco)
Given the professed "streetwise" attitude of X Factor also-ran Cher Lloyd, you'd think there might be a glimmer of personality somewhere on this debut album, but the only real flashes of character come from the reworked riffs of old Neneh Cherry and Ann Peebles hits used on a couple of tracks.
Otherwise, with the wot-evaah mockney petulance, the rap-by-numbers braggadocio, the rote complaints about deficient boyfriends, and the half-hearted electro beats bashed out by the half-dozen different producers, this is about as generic as pop gets, the authentic sound of emasculated corporate teen fodder masquerading as rebellion.
It's all there in Lloyd's telling lines from "Grow Up": "We're gonna be the generation that makes everything explode!" she asserts hopefully, before adding the proviso, "And when I say explode, I don't mean that we're using bombs." Whew!
DOWNLOAD THIS With Ur Love
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations