Album: Chiddy Bang, Breakfast (Parlophone)
Chidera "Chiddy" Anamege, MC of hip-hop duo Chiddy Bang, may have set a new world freestyle rap record – a brain-wilting 9 hours, 18 minutes – but on this debut album he doesn't seem to have quite as much to say as, for instance, Childish Gambino; though maybe the art lies in spinning one's thread so gossamer-thin that it's barely perceptible.
That said, there are some great grooves on Breakfast, from the party anthem "Handclaps & Guitars" to the infectious piano-and-vocal hook to "Ray Charles". This track also provides the best lyric interplay: while the mirror-gazing Chiddy's celebrating being as cool as Ray, his girl's rejoinder claims he's "too blind to see" her charms. Elsewhere, "Baby Roulette" offers sage advice on contraception – but there are a few too many tracks on which the hook outclasses the actual rap.
DOWNLOAD THIS Ray Charles; Handclaps & Guitars; Baby Roulette
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online days before public release
Groundhog Day musical to premiere at Old Vic from Matilda theatre director
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate