Album: Chopin, Piano Concertos – Lang/Mehta et al, (Deutsche Grammophon)
Sunday 11 January 2009
This is a bad combination of artists and material. Lang Lang has something to say about Chopin, a natural facility for the fussiest passages, and a pleasant swing to his phrasing in the first movement of the F minor Concerto.
But instead of sparkle and delicacy, he offers full-beam brilliance and neon cupid's darts. Add a lacklustre, lazy performance from the strings of the Vienna Philharmonic and some grotesquely vulgar phrasing and sluggish tempi from Zubin Mehta, and the E minor Concerto is lost.
Pick of the album: A curate's egg 'Larghetto' from the F minor Concerto
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'