Album: Dan Berglund's Tonbruket, Tonbruket (Act)
Sunday 28 February 2010
The ex-EST bassist describes the touchstones for his new Swedish quartet as Pink Floyd, Röyksopp and everyone's favourite bearded Estonian mystic, Arvo Pärt. He could throw in Status Quo too, as DB proves partial to chugging, bass-driven boogie.
There's far more rock than jazz here but the variety of styles helps to create a satisfying blend of superior instrumental-prog, with the excellent Johan Lindstrom's spacey steel-guitar and Berglund's own deep bottom making the Floyd reference particularly apt.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- < Previous
- Next >