Album: Danny and the Champions of the World, Hearts & Arrows (Southern Crossroads)
Friday 15 July 2011
With Hearts & Arrows, Danny Wilson's band graduates from being country-rock manqués obsessed with Neil Young and The Byrds to a more eclectic outfit now looking, in the opening "Ghosts In The Wire" and ebullient "Soul In The City", to take on the muscular heartland rock'n'roll yearning of Bruce Springsteen.
The Champions haven't completely abandoned The Byrds – tracks like "Every Beat Of My Heart" and "Hearts & Arrows" are resplendent in 12-string Rickenbacker arpeggios, but now they sound more like Tom Petty's domain than McGuinn's. Best of all is "Colonel And The King", an Elvis parable which wonders "How could something so electric become so disconnected?"
DOWNLOAD THIS Colonel And The King; Ghosts In The Wire; Hearts & Arrows
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson pictured in first scenes
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >