Album: Deadmau5, 4x4=12 (Mau5trap/Virgin)
Friday 03 December 2010
Daft Punk may be dipping their toes in more exalted waters, but the appetite for stompy synth-based dance riffs played by men in face-concealing helmets shows no sign of diminishing, if the forthcoming Earls Court headline gig by Joel Thomas Zimmerman, aka Deadmau5, is anything to go by.
One of the most prolific DJ/producers working today, Zimmerman specialises in striding synth grooves of muscular determination and unrelenting fizz, punctuated with the standard house repertoire of pitch-shifts, EQ changes, etc. The eight-minute-long "Some Chords", for instance, takes a few keyboard chords, tortures them into new shapes, then straps the resulting disembodied bleeps and squeaks to a brutal stomp-beat. It's efficient but enervating stuff; the most interesting piece here is "Raise Your Weapon", which takes a fairly standard indie-pop song and assails it with violently careening dubstep musique-concrete flourishes, a punishing tactic which seeks no alliance.
Download this: Raise Your Weapon; Some Chords; Cthulhu Sleeps
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments