Album: Dirty Three, Toward the Low Sun (Bella Union)
There's a familiar elemental tone to the Dirty Three's latest album – except this time the oceanic influence is replaced by snow and sky and rain.
It opens more ferociously than usual with the free-jazz bustle of Jim White's descriptive drums and dark clangour of Mick Turner's guitar furnishing an unsettling base for the gouging organ and Warren Ellis's stormy violin parts to describe the "Furnace Skies"; but "Sometimes I Forget You've Gone" offers a more reflective interplay of piano and guitar. In "Moon on the Land", the violin and guitar are joined by accordion, before Ellis's forlorn tone brings a plaintive drift to "Rain Song". Drifts of another kind mark "Ashen Snow", whose gracefully layered strings and piano settle like soft accumulations of snow: elemental, but not alienating.
DOWNLOAD THIS Sometimes I Forget You've Gone; Furnace Skies; Ashen Snow
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains