Album: Edwyn Collins, Losing Sleep, Heavenly
Sunday 19 September 2010
The second post-illness album from the former Orange Juice leader kicks off in fine style, with a title track whose production echoes “Girl Like You”, but it isn’t long before Collins’ rich baritone is displaced by the flat Yorkshire blare of Ryan Jarman.
Losing Sleep, you see, is speckled by collaborations with the great (Franz Ferdinand, Johnny Marr) and the noteven- good (Cribs, Drums). This ongoing show of support following Edwyn’s cerebral haemorrhages in 2005 is touching, but he is at his best when left alone to get on with it.
Arts & Ents blogs
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson