Album: Freddie Hubbard, On the Real Side (4Q/Times Square)
Sunday 27 July 2008
Hubbard's chops blew out in the Nineties, which is no surprise given the kind of stick the trumpeter gave them for 30 years or so.
No one has ever made the horn sound louder and longer. He is now partially rehabilitated, but confines himself to the softer pressures and shorter lines required by the flugelhorn. This is a second outing with the New Jazz Composers Octet, which does what it says on the tin: small-ensemble generic modern jazz, shortish on extemporary flash, long on arrangement. The effect is lively and not too challenging, either for Freddie's poor lip or for the listener's ear. An enjoyable experience.
Pick of the Album: 'Lifeflight': twisting, turning but mellow Freddie
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures