Album: Gregg Allman, Low Country Blues (Rounder)
Friday 21 January 2011
Recorded shortly before he underwent a liver transplant last summer, the T-Bone Burnett-produced Low Country Blues is Gruntin' Gregg Allman's first album in 14 years, and it's the best work he's done since the Allman Brothers' Seventies heyday.
Horns smoulder atmospherically, Gregg's Hammond organ broods darkly, Doyle Bramhall's bottleneck guitar lines snake menacingly, and the whole affair is rooted in the brilliantly illustrative undercarriage of premier rhythm section Jay Bellerose and Dennis Crouch. Allman himself has rarely sung better, his bearded baritone resembling Bobby Bland on the fuller arrangements, but hauntingly desolate on country-blues material like Skip James's "Devil Got My Woman". An unexpected triumph.
DOWNLOAD THIS I Can't Be Satisfied; Devil Got My Woman; Tears, Tears, Tears; I Believe I'll Go Back Home; Rolling Stone
educationTo mark International Women's Day, Sarah Brown on how charities have brought proper joined-up thinking to the delivery of education
Arts & Ents blogs
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
- 1 NHS boss apologises for tweeting Hitler video mocking Government health database scheme
- 2 Sir Patrick Stewart patches into David Cameron and Barack Obama's Ukraine talks with packet of wet wipes
- 3 Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
- 4 Man stabbed with Legend of Zelda Master Sword in serious condition
- 5 First clip of Outkast's Andre 3000 in Jimi Hendrix biopic All Is By My Side emerges