Album: Human Don't Be Angry, Human Don't Be Angry (Chemikal Underground)
Human Don't Be Angry is a side-project by Malcolm "Arab Strap" Middleton which mostly eschews his usual glum ruminations in favour of pleasingly methodical instrumental trifles.
The sci-fi tone of pieces like the Numanoid electropop exercise "H.D.B.A. Theme" and "The Missing Plutonium" evokes the late 70s/early 80s, with the latter's industriously cycling synth and guitar figures recalling the sumptuously layered solo work of Neu!'s Michael Rother. Elsewhere, the use of vibes and marimba makes "Jaded" and "After the Pleasuredome" resemble what 50s lounge-music auteurs like Martin Denny might have come up with if they had devised a more robotic form of sci-fi exotica. Such lyrics as appear tend to reflect the overall mood of alienated displacement.
DOWNLOAD THIS The Missing Plutonium; First Person Singular, Present Tense; Jaded; 1985
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Ed Sheeran dedicates song to David Cameron
Star Wars 7: David Fincher's sequel idea sounds a lot more intriguing
Tom and Jerry cartoons now carry a 'racial prejudice' warning on Amazon
Great British Bake Off, semi-final, review: Richard remains the baker to beat as Chetna begins to flake
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
- < Previous
- Next >