Album: Indigo Girls, Holly Happy Days (Vanguard)
Sunday 19 December 2010
Christmas is an American state of mind.
Here it is in folksy-feminist mode, a redemptive season in which warmth and good cheer abide like the squares in a good quilt and an ecumenical God drops in for a toddy and a snifter of harmony. The Indigos put palm to sternum and tell it like it ought to be, with an accomplished bunch of players (Victor Krauss, Alison Brown...), including carols, originals and "classics". All charmingly domestic and executed (in Nashville) with the exercise of the best possible taste.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Downton Abbey: Liam Neeson wants to be a stableman in period drama
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis is full of spoilers and existential questions
Pharrell Williams says 'Blurred Lines' criticism is out of context
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'