Album: Ivo Papasov, Dance of the Falcon (World Village)
Sunday 10 August 2008
When this Turkish-speaking Gypsy from Bulgaria was declared the surprise winner of a Radio 3 World Music award two years ago, he handed it back, picked up his clarinet and stunned the auditorium with five minutes of solo pyrotechnics.
Ivo Papasov has had to develop a usefully thick skin towards prejudice, but his super-refined art is his best defence: here we get those pyrotechnics with his band back home, in a wonderful collection of wedding dances: his sound is sweet and perfectly modulated, and the backing is muted enough to let it blossom.
Pick of the Album: 'Pink Panther', one of his perennial wedding favourites
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Black-ish: America's new 'racist' TV sitcom has had a mixed reception
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >