Album: Jake Bugg, Jake Bugg (Mercury)
A youthful troubadour following in Ed Sheeran's footsteps, Jake Bugg brings a scrappily engaging rockabilly intensity to catchy folk rants like the single "Lightning Bolt" and the smalltown escape anthem "Two Fingers", his simple strum'n'drum arrangements allowing his sharp, piercing voice to cut through unhindered.
There's a world-weariness to some of his songs that's as attractive now as ever, and in some cases not unearned: in "Seen It All", he recounts firsthand evidence of the violence seeping into youth culture, while several songs deal with a lifestyle pockmarked with booze and drug abuse. But there's a consolatory tenderness to songs like "Note To Self" and "Simple As This" that's entirely in keeping with his Bohemian skiffle style.
Download: Lightning Bolt; Seen It All; Note To Self
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women