Album: Jake Bugg, Jake Bugg (Mercury)
Sunday 14 October 2012
"Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be … Bob Dylan!" could well precede a few of the tracks on Bugg's debut album.
But sounding like Dylan (or Oasis for that matter) is hardly a criticism. Bugg's folksy blues might be stubbornly retro but who cares when it's this good? Ten out of 14 tracks are outstanding, especially considering Bugg's only 18. And in a funny way, some pared-back rock'n'roll feels fresh in the sea of Auto-Tuned bleeps that passes for pop music.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Arts & Ents blogs
Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber 'retiring from music'
Coriolanus, theatre review: 'Tom Hiddleston has blazing stellar power'
Nymphomaniac, film review: 'Despite the surreal sex scenes this is a serious drama'
Call the Midwife Christmas special: Behind the scenes with Miranda Hart
Justin Bieber's mishaps and controversies
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Police probed over earlier allegations as paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >