Album: Janelle Monae, The ArchAndroid (Bad Boy/Atlantic)
Sunday 11 July 2010
An artist to make Gaga curse her own abject banality, 24-year-old Kansas girl Monae has found her way to Oz.
Her persona is Ziggy Stardust by way of Fred Astaire; her voice is part Lauryn Hill, part Julie London, while her sound exists on a transcendentally barmy plane where soul-funk meets garage-rock, rap meets cabaret and "Sex Machine" meets "Moon River". Try to digest its 18 tracks in one sitting at your peril: indeed, there's enough pop virtuosity to have you feasting until Christmas.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
newsThat most ancient of crimes is on the rise, threatening farmers' livelihoods, community trust – and human health
food + drink
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >