Album: Janelle Monae, The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III) (Bad Boy/Atlantic)
Janelle Monáe, the R&B singer who first came to public attention on OutKast's Idlewild, is a giant talent, comparable to Prince in both her ambition and her reach.
On The ArchAndroid she essays a sci-fi fantasy of mind-boggling diversity in two suites, each prefigured by orchestral overtures that indicate her operatic intentions, before darting off all over the musical map. Alongside standard R&B, electro and hip-hop styles, she's adept at Bowie-esque rococo-pop ("Make the Bus"), musique concrete collage ("Neon Gumbo"), psychedelic rock ("Mushrooms & Roses") and in the closing "BaBopBye Ya", a nine-minute multi-section climax that shifts from noirish film music to jazz and showtune. It's a breathtaking blizzard of creative imagination. A wizard, a true star.
DOWNLOAD THIS Dance or Die; Oh, Maker; Mushrooms & Roses; Make the Bus; BaBopBye Ya
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 4 Grace Dent on TV: Extreme Couponing, My Strange Addiction, and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, TLC
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.