Album: Jill Scott, The Original Jill Scott from the Vault Vol 1
Friday 14 October 2011
The first fruit of Hidden Beach's settlement, following their lawsuit occasioned by Jill Scott's move to Warner Bros, is far better than most contractual fulfilment albums – possibly due to Scott's involvement in its compilation.
Indeed, it's rather better than her current "official" album The Light of the Sun, with only the lacklustre "Wondering Why?" sounding like a rumination to which instrumental parts had accidentally adhered. Elsewhere, there are spry shuffling grooves ("I Don't Know"), twitchy two-steppers ("Love to Love") and a more purposive tone overall. And in the languorous, just-roused warmth of "Wake Up Baby", a neat conceit contrasting a suitor's late-night booty call with her grandma's wake-up call: "If he waits outside in his car, he ain't seeing you like the jewel you are".
DOWNLOAD THIS I Don't Know; Love to Love; Wake Up Baby; Lovely Day
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >