Album: Joe Driscoll, Mixtape Champs (Localization)
Friday 27 May 2011
Like early-period Beck, Joe Driscoll operates in that hinterland where folk troubadour meets hip-hop culture, his acoustic guitar incorporated within grooves built from his beatboxing and DJ Afro's scratching, with other elements – the occasional sax or melodica line – overlaid around his vocals.
His songs reflect a warm, albeit slightly soured worldview, Driscoll lamenting the world's failings on "Clear Mind" and "Just Once", and irritated in "Location" about how "I've torn my time to tatters in these timid, tiny towns". But "In the Telling" affirms his faith in the value of storytelling, and "Ridum" – a harmonica/beatboxing groove – in the value of rhythm. The title-track gazes back fondly at a time where, instead of just burning a playlist, your affections were indicated by making a mixtape for a prospective girlfriend.
DOWNLOAD THIS Location; Mixtape Champs; Water
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers: Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online
Kevin Spacey's successor at The Old Vic promises a more low-key approach
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate