Album: Joe Driscoll, Mixtape Champs (Localization)
Friday 27 May 2011
Like early-period Beck, Joe Driscoll operates in that hinterland where folk troubadour meets hip-hop culture, his acoustic guitar incorporated within grooves built from his beatboxing and DJ Afro's scratching, with other elements – the occasional sax or melodica line – overlaid around his vocals.
His songs reflect a warm, albeit slightly soured worldview, Driscoll lamenting the world's failings on "Clear Mind" and "Just Once", and irritated in "Location" about how "I've torn my time to tatters in these timid, tiny towns". But "In the Telling" affirms his faith in the value of storytelling, and "Ridum" – a harmonica/beatboxing groove – in the value of rhythm. The title-track gazes back fondly at a time where, instead of just burning a playlist, your affections were indicated by making a mixtape for a prospective girlfriend.
DOWNLOAD THIS Location; Mixtape Champs; Water
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage