Album: Joe Lovano US Five, Cross Culture (Blue Note)
Sunday 24 February 2013
Saxophonist Lovano's third album with his two-drummer quintet is a very mixed affair.
The opening "Blessings in May" is a boppish tour de force, and there's a lovely, Ben Webster-style breathy version of Billy Strayhorn's "Star Crossed Lovers". But some tracks, such as the enormously annoying "The Spin", or "Journey Within", both featuring guest guitarist Lionel Loueke, are little more than repetitive patterns: all ground and no figure.
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Bob Dylan's 'going electric' guitar from Newport Folk Festival sells for nearly $1m
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >