Album: Joe Lovano US Five, Cross Culture (Blue Note)
Sunday 24 February 2013
Saxophonist Lovano's third album with his two-drummer quintet is a very mixed affair.
The opening "Blessings in May" is a boppish tour de force, and there's a lovely, Ben Webster-style breathy version of Billy Strayhorn's "Star Crossed Lovers". But some tracks, such as the enormously annoying "The Spin", or "Journey Within", both featuring guest guitarist Lionel Loueke, are little more than repetitive patterns: all ground and no figure.
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >