Album: John Cale, Conflict & Catalysis: Productions and Arrangements 1966-2006 (Big Beat)
Sunday 08 April 2012
With the Velvets, the Stooges, Patti Smith, Nico (the swoonable "Afraid") and the Modern Lovers as the first five tracks, this neat comp of Welsh wizard Cale's "productions and arrangements" can't fail.
After that, the raw materials get ever more shoddy (Mediaeval Baebes?) and Cale's interest-level approaches the horizontal. But there's fascinating obscurities – try "Scorch" by Goya Dress or "Italian Sea" by Chunky Novi and Ernie – scholarly liner notes, and viola a-go-go.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >