Album: Jonny, Jonny (Turnstile)
Friday 28 January 2011
Jonny is the new alliance between Teenage Fanclub's Norman Blake and Euros Childs from Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, and judging by the whimsical bonhomie of songs like "Candyfloss" and "Wich Is Wich", the lyrics are mostly Childs' play.
"At the cauldron, she's got it going on," he offers in the latter, and potential affection for this self-titled debut is likely to depend on how one takes this and similarly twee sentiments such as those in "English Lady" where he muses upon taking her "out to the country – I hear Cornwall's nice this time of year". Musically, it's rooted in classic harmony-pop, from the 1960s beat-boom stylings of "Candyfloss" to the gentle charm of "Circling the Sun", with the most daring steps taken on the 10-minute "Cave Dance", which shifts from stone-age rock'n'roll fantasy to minimalist keyboard cycle via a courtly folk-dance section.
DOWNLOAD THIS Wich Is Wich; Candyfloss; Cave Dance
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly