Album: Joss Stone, LP1 (Stone'd/Surfdog)
Friday 22 July 2011
Recorded over six days in Nashville with Dave Stewart, the debut release on Joss Stone's own label is, she claims, the first on which she has exerted total creative freedom.
And certainly, it's less hostage to a single specific style than any of her previous work, ranging from the loping funk swagger of "Don't Start Lying to Me Now" and burbling clavinet soul of "Karma" to the bluesy ruminations of "Landlord" and "Take Good Care", where her voice is at its earthiest accompanied by little more than Stewart's acoustic guitar. It's not all successful – the unfocused "Last One to Know" and "Boat Yard" could have done with a bit more work to tighten them up – but the diversity emphasises her shared heritage with Janis Joplin, while retaining her core deep-soul strength on tracks such as "Cry Myself to Sleep" and "Newborn".
DOWNLOAD THIS: Newborn; Karma; Don't Start Lying to Me Now; Take Good Care
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >