Album: Judy Collins, Bohemian (Wildflower)
Inspired by memories of '60s
southern California, Judy Collins'sBohemian is aglow with fond reveries
of a time of infinite possibility: even Woody Guthrie's dustbowl hymn "Pastures
Of Plenty" receives a luminous interpretation from which all the dust has been
Her pristine contralto is perfect for material like Joni Mitchell's "Cactus Tree" and Jimmy Webb's Californication eulogy, "Campo De Encino", but is less suited to Jacques Brel's "The Desperate Ones", where the desperation has been smoothed to resignation. But the surprise here is that, for someone best known as an interpreter rather than a songwriter, the strongest performances are of Collins's own material: the Paul Bowlesian Saharan romance fantasy "Morocco", the fulsome song of loss "Wings Of Angels", and especially the tribute to her mother's gentle fading, "In The Twilight", enough to prompt floods of tears from the hardest of hearts.
Download this: In The Twilight; Morocco; Wings Of Angels; Pastures Of Plenty
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'