Album: k d lang and the Siss Boom Bang, Sing It Loud (Nonesuch)
Friday 15 April 2011
Sing It Loud is k d lang's first work with a band of her own since her original albums with The Reclines two decades ago. But compared to the sprightly tone of those breakthrough recordings, this is tough going.
Right from the opening "I Confess", there's a palpable mismatch between lang's voice, now matured from country chirp to torch-song croon, and the oddly clodhopping backings of the Siss Boom Bang, who trample over the sensitive subtleties of a decent song like "Perfect Word", then when required to be discreetly languid on "Sugar Buzz", let the song collapse in on itself completely. Elsewhere, "A Sleep with No Dreaming" is a leaden-footed tango with twang, while a cover of Talking Heads' "Heaven" is enervated to the point of exhaustion. An unmitigated disaster.
DOWNLOAD THIS Perfect Word
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly