Album: k d lang and the Siss Boom Bang, Sing It Loud (Nonesuch)
Sing It Loud is k d lang's first work with a band of her own since her original albums with The Reclines two decades ago. But compared to the sprightly tone of those breakthrough recordings, this is tough going.
Right from the opening "I Confess", there's a palpable mismatch between lang's voice, now matured from country chirp to torch-song croon, and the oddly clodhopping backings of the Siss Boom Bang, who trample over the sensitive subtleties of a decent song like "Perfect Word", then when required to be discreetly languid on "Sugar Buzz", let the song collapse in on itself completely. Elsewhere, "A Sleep with No Dreaming" is a leaden-footed tango with twang, while a cover of Talking Heads' "Heaven" is enervated to the point of exhaustion. An unmitigated disaster.
DOWNLOAD THIS Perfect Word
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.