Album: Katy B, On A Mission (Rinse)
Friday 08 April 2011
The latest Brit School alumnus to be saddled with the weight of unfair expectations, Katy B blends R&B vocals with the dubstep arrangements of Geeneus, Zinc and Magnetic Man to create a distinctive homegrown UK club sound.
The beats are surprisingly varied, from the scudding electro shuffle of "Power On Me" and the staccato swagger of "Easy Please Me" to the jazzy 2-step twitch of "Why You Always Here". There's even room for the return of the venerable "Funky Drummer" beat on "Broken Record". Admirably, Katy's vocals' conversational demotic has more in common with Lily Allen than Mariah Carey. Her casual observations on club life and love life tumble over each other with a light, mischievous touch that's refreshingly free of grating attitude. But surely the Jamiroquai-style jazz-funk of "Hard To Get" is a mistake?
DOWNLOAD THIS Easy Please Me; On A Mission; Movement
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportThe coach of Chalfont St Peter's under-10s football team was relieved of his duties after he sent an email to parents that said: 'I am only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
indybestMake getting out of the wrong side of bed on cold winter mornings a thing of the past with our selection of night-time covers
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do