Album: Kelly Rowland, Here I Am (Universal Island)
Ever since their days in Destiny's Child, poor Rowland has always been the bridesmaid to Beyonce's bride, and so it proves on this, which is a sort of also-ran footnote to the diva tropes handled with so much more panache by Mrs Z.
"I'm Dat Chick" opens the album with Kelly's well-meant assertions of her fly-ness, but even by the third track – ironically titled "Motivation" – interest is already flagging in the amorphous assemblages of vocal and musical cliches that comprise the bulk of the album. David Guetta applies his house lock-step to a couple of tracks, one of which ("Comman-der") finds Rowland in the position of impersonating an autotune monotone. The elegant piano motif to "Feelin' Me Right Now" lends a sophistication absent elsewhere, but the lack of inspiration here is nowhere better conveyed than on "Down for Whatever".
DOWNLOAD THIS: Feelin' Me Right Now
Auction house to give away $1m masterpiece in charity raffle - and tickets are only $100 each
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 5 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- < Previous
- Next >