Album: K'Naan, Troubadour (Polydor)
Sunday 20 June 2010
K'Naan has generated plenty of interest of late, due to a backstory of struggle and survival in the Somali civil war and his "Wavin' Flag" being played during ITV's World Cup coverage.
The third album from the "Dusty Foot Philosopher" fuses hip-hop beats, Fela Kuti horns, rock guitars, Somali folk sounds, a Damien Marley collaboration and everything but the vuvuzela. Some tracks do fly Waddle-wide of the mark – though "Wavin' Flag" is not the only song here to hit the back of the net.
interviewTrudie Styler, the producer and activist, whose film 'Filth' is up for five British film awards, is tapping into the industry's neglected female talent
musicBlack Sabbath have pulled off one of rock music’s great comebacks – against all odds
theatreTheatre's hitmaker Daniel Evans on 'Oliver' and bringing 'The Full Monty' to the stage
Her estate has become the nation's glossiest food empire
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
travelFor broadcaster Mishal Husain, a long-haul Club Med holiday was a chance for her family to explore its sense of 'zen' and 'animation'
food + drinkFestive snacks don't have to be fiddly, says Bill Granger
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >