Album: Lisbee Stainton, Girl on an Unmade Bed (Marionet)
Sunday 03 January 2010
You can measure well-made, Radio 2-ish, homely pop like this by the yard. It's a style of music that suits the times like a twill, as effective in the kitchen as it is on a television advert.
What's it made of? Cultured folk-pop arrangements built around the thrum of Stainton's guitar, gently cushioning her (relatively) unaffected toy-soprano mini-voice. How is it woven? Intimately, subtly, sophisticatedly and with a keen ear for the play of the language of very young women. She wears it well.
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
'Rebel without a Cause', 'East of Eden' and 'Giant' re-released
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Kylie Minogue quits The Voice UK
Review: Half of A Yellow Sun
Arts & Ents blogs
David Cameron: 'Jesus invented the Big Society – I'm just continuing God's work'
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Ukip and Nigel Farage on the up over Maria Miller furore and 'Sexminster' culture
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 2 Twitter’s American Airlines ‘terror threat’ 14-year-old girl arrested by police in Rotterdam
- 3 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 4 Man on a leash in Farringdon, London: Mystery of 'walkies' solved
- 5 World’s first cannabis vending machine unveiled in Colorado