Album: Lloyd Cole, Standards (Tapete Records)
Saturday 22 June 2013
Here's a surprise. After a decade of fine, restrained albums that interrogated the indignities of mid-life malaise, the 52-year-old Cole kicks against the pricks of his advancing years.
Not for 20 years has he opened an album with as much pop-rock swagger. And so it struts on, his way with a lyric as seductive (if occasionally self-conscious) as ever. How many other songwriters facing the third age could conjure up their first flush with such style?
TVEnough to make ardent arachnophobes think twice
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Number of global billionaires has doubled since the financial crisis
- 3 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 4 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
- 5 North Korean officials 'publicly executed for watching South Korean soap operas'
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Orson Welles' unfinished final 'masterpiece' to be released for centenary
The Apprentice 2014 firing: Alan Sugar 'gets rid of the no-hopers' with triple elimination
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Nigel Farage and Frankie Boyle clash over Andrew Lawrence's 'Mock the Week' criticism